Here’s What We’re Looking For:
We’re looking for a writer (“Contributor”) that lives in New Mexico, to write a monthly article about great hiking spots, camping spots, outdoor festivals or other events. You don’t need to be a professional photographer, but enjoying the outdoors is a visual activity, we need pictures, and lots of them.
If you have a handheld GPS, that’s awesome, but not mandatory. Sending us the .gpx file for a trail guide is a home-run. People love maps and we would love to share one with your awesome trail guides.
What we are looking for are actionable articles about cool outdoor trail guides, spots and activities in New Mexico. Each article should include a link to a Google Maps page showing where the activity occurred, so that our readers can replicate your adventure if they choose to.
You will also need to have some familiarity with WordPress, as you will have to type your post directly into TrekSW, as opposed to emailing Word Docs, etc.
Destination reviews – Below are some examples of what we’re looking for in destination reviews. Outdoor festivals and events are great additions in this category:
Trail guides – If you want to do a trail guide for us, you would be a superhero if you carried a handheld GPS along for your hike and sent the .gpx file over with your article submission. Identifying the trailhead coordinates in Google Maps would be a big help if you don’t have a GPS:
Additional (But Important) Info
- Each post should include at least five original (un-copyrighted) photographs or graphics related to the topic. Submitted images should be a minimum of 580 px wide and in .jpg format. The more pictures you send, the more awesome you are (remember, five pictures is the absolute minimum). Our readers love to not only read what you’re writing, but see it too.
- If you include video in your post, the video file should be emailed.
- Post topics should be narrow in nature and not overly broad (ie., 10 Best Hiking Trails in Arizona vs. Hiking the South Kaibab Trail in Grand Canyon National Park in the Wintertime). Post topics and content should be specific and not be general “Why Hiking is Good” type articles. No filler content.
- Posts should be a bare minimum of 1,000 words. 1,750 to 3,000 words is much better.
- The articles must remain unique to Treksw.com and not be posted elsewhere on the web. Once payment has been made, the articles and their contents become the sole property of TrekSW.
- Contributor should have the ability to come up with their own post topics.
- All post topics must be submitted for approval prior to beginning any work.
- All backlinks in the body of the article must be highly relevant, on high quality websites, expand on the topic in your guest post and be useful (in our opinion) to our readers. If you own a site that happens to meet that criteria, then we may allow a backlink in the post body. If you’re not sure that your website meets that criteria, it’s probably a good bet not to include the link (you’ll have an author bio link anyway).
- If you own, or are associated with any site linked to in a post in any way, this must be disclosed prior to payment being made. If it is discovered at a later date that this disclosure was not made, termination of the association between you and TrekSW will occur, and all article links for all posts made by you may be removed.
- Post authors are allowed one backlink (to one of their own web properties) in their author bio that will appear at the end of their article. (See the end of the post here to get an idea of what an author bio should look like). Author bios and the linked web property are subject to the approval of TrekSW.
- Authors may also submit a picture or graphic to include with their bio.
- We reserve the right to modify articles as we see fit, and to reject any article for any reason.
- TrekSW reserves the right to terminate its relationship with Contributor at any time and without cause.
- Contributor agrees that acceptance of any arrangement to provide services to TrekSW does not create an employer-employee relationship. Contributor agrees that they/it shall at all times act as an independent contractor in furnishing all services to TrekSW. Contributor, its employees, servants, agents, representatives or subcontractors shall not be entitled to any pension, health insurance, profit sharing or other benefits that TrekSW may provide for its employees. TrekSW shall not be required to pay or withhold from any sums due to Contributor for any payroll taxes, self-employment taxes, contributions for unemployment insurance, old age and survivor’s insurance or annuities, or worker’s compensation insurance which are based in whole or in part upon wages, salaries or other compensation paid to Contributor or its employees. Contractor shall be solely liable for the payment of such sums, if any, which may be due in connection with work performed and shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless TrekSW therefrom.
- TrekSW will pay Contributor per article via Paypal. You will need to supply your Paypal payment details, and if more than one article is bought by TrekSW, a W-9 including your taxing information will also need to be sent prior to payment being made.
Please understand that not all submissions will be approved.
How to Apply
- Send an email to email@example.com with the following information.
- Your fee per article.
- What area/city you live in.
- Tell us a little about yourself.
- Examples of your writing.
- Please let us know in your email that you agree to all of the terms set out on this page, and most specifically items 1 through 3 above.