- Love This
- Yahoo Mail
- Facebook Messenger
- Copy Link
Rio Grande Village is the largest campground in Big Bend National Park, as well as the best suited campground for visitors bringing in their RVs.
It’s not to be confused with Rio Grande Village RV Campground (see details on the RV Campground toward the end of this post) as the RV Campground is vendor operated and the Rio Grande Village Campground is managed by the Park Service. Rio Grande Village RV Campground sits just across the parking lot from the Rio Grande Village Store, and the Rio Grande Village Campground is further down the road.
Rio Grande Village Campground
We’ll get started with the NPS Rio Grande Village Campground. To get there from Park Headquarters at Panther Junction, take a right out of the parking lot and head 20 miles down Highway 118, until it dead ends into the parking lot for Rio Grand Village Store (29.1835723, -102.9691457). At this intersection you’ll hang a left (east) to head to Rio Grand Village Campground (29.1794592, -102.9630552).
If you haven’t reserved a spot (reserving a spot is highly recommended), you’ll need to go ahead and drive into the campground to find an empty spot. Once you’ve found a spot, park your car or RV, walk back up to the entrance sign you passed on your way in, grab an envelope, fill out your details, drop your money or check in, and put it in the designated box.
In the campground map below, the campsites surrounded with a dotted line are reserveable. The balance are first come, first served. Also, the area that is shaded in gray is the no generator zone. Download a full sized map with legend here.
If you’re in a larger RV, you’ll want to get one of the sites toward the front of the campground, near the entrance, because most of the rest will likely be too small.
The no generator zone is one of our favorite areas since it’s far quieter as well as more private due to the more dense vegetation surrounding the campsites.
Rio Grande Village Campground Details:
- Elevation: 1,850′
- Open: All year
- Campsites: 100 (43 reserveable, click here to make reservations)
- Group Sites: 4 (walk-in, tent only);
- Sites A and B: Max Occupancy: 20; Minimum Occupancy: 9
- Sites C and D: Max Occupancy: 40; Minimum Occupancy: 9
- Make Reservations here
- Fees: $14 per night (Golden Age and Golden Access – $7.00 per night) Pay at campground entrance
- Pit-toilets (outhouses)
- Water available in select spots
- Picnic tables
- Dump station nearby (you’ll pass it on the way in, just before the entrance to the campground)
- No electric
- Generators allowed only in designated areas
- Maximum of eight people per campsite
- Register or pay for your campsite within 30 minutes of arrival
- Wood fires are prohibited
- Pets must be on a leash at all times
- Quiet hours are 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Rio Grande Village RV Campground
To get to Rio Grande Village RV Campground from Park Headquarters at Panther Junction, take a right out of the parking lot and head about 20 miles down Highway 118, until it dead ends into the parking lot for Rio Grand Village Store (29.1835723, -102.9691457). Take a right (West) from this intersection and you’ll see it immediately past the parking lot for Rio Grande Village Store.
Rio Grande Village RV Campground Details:
Sits directly adjacent (West side) to the Rio Grande Village Store.
- Elevation: 1,800′
- Open: All year
- Campsites: 25 (20 reserveable, register at the Rio Grande Village Store or call 1-877-386-4383 or 1-432-477-2293)
- 5 sites first come, first served (register at Rio Grande Village Store)
- Group Sites: None
- Fees: $33 per night Double-Occupancy, with $3 additional per person.
- Full hook-ups
- 30 AMP electric
Be sure to ask in advance if there is availability for RVs 40′ or longer.
The campground is a little tight, but you get your own picnic table at the end of the RV spots.
Leave a Reply